when life meets reality...


mysterious encounters r déjà vu r serendipity moments r mistakes r opportunities r

to forgive and forget r awkward silences r laughter r joyful tears r love r hopeful comings

** “Story #'s” **

posts that focus on the major movements of my life. They are the stories that make up the journey: When life meets reality.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Story #2: Fork in the Road


fork in the road is a metaphor, based on a literal expression, for a deciding moment or a turning point in life or history when a major choice of options is required.
~ Thanks to 
Farlex

Before we start Story 2 of when life meets reality, I would like to take a moment to give my deepest condolences to the family and friends of Tyler Clementi as well as anyone else who has been a victim to such harsh verbal, physical and emotional abuse. To the other two students...well, best of luck with your future. Maybe you can put this experience to good use.


Story 2: Fork in the Road

Growing up, everyone (or maybe it's just me) is heavily influenced by the opinions of their parents. Whether it is something small like eating a sandwich from the outside in or something big like a career choice, parents have a direct influence on your personality. Maybe you can't study unless you're room is clean, maybe you're a laid back person where you just like to go with the flow and avoid conflict, maybe your views on certain issues are very narrow-minded while on others...you could care less. Well, I grew up as the baby of the family, the good child -- I had two older brothers to learn from, I [supposedly] would go far with tennis, continue with music throughout my life, do whatever I could to make my parents proud, and at all costs avoiding disappointment...you get the point. And the opinions they had about things anyone did -- my brothers, a friend's child, or a friend's friend...however I interpreted what they said, I took it all to heart.

Under all these biased impressions and thoughts, moving on with my life after college has been hard -- as you all know from Story 1. To spare you the time of reading a painstakingly long post, I will skip to the happy part. --- fast forward ---> About a week ago, my small conversation with my mom became one of our epic mother-to-daughter moments. A lot of my insecurities, impressions of what my parents wanted, and what-not's were sorted out. Yay! happy happy joy joy (
in song form)


So, why am I talking about all of this??

Well, as you all know, I have been trying to make sense of what I really want to do. Do I continue on the conventional paths of entering a job field and climbing up the ladder; or do I further my education with more classes, certifications and degrees in order to start higher up in the ladder, OR do I want to precariously venture into the unknown and go against the norm of my past views and do something completely new?!?! After my mother-to daughter chat and much self-thought, I decided to do a spin off the third path, as mysterious and intriguing, as it seems. Whether if this is a phase or not, I figure, I'm young, I've got time, and I should just give it a shot. This way in the future, I will have no regrets or those lingering "what if" thoughts.
Here's my game plan...okay, so don't laugh...while I find a flexible part time job of some sort, I will dive head first into the world of acting and modeling!! Now it is pretty obvious that I have little to no chance in becoming a runway model due to my ever-so special Asian genes -- I am about a half a foot too short and lack the perseverance and...really, I just love my ice cream and chocolate too much to give it up. So, this is why I am thinking of going into commercial modeling and maybe even acting. Although I have no experience in either of these fields, I believe with a little bit of help, some encouragements from my 1004's, a little bit of "oomf" to go with my motivation and eagerness, I will at least come out of this experience on top.

Until I find someone to help me learn how to pose, do my hair and make-up, and figure out what my style is, I will do a little bit of experimenting myself....dundundun. Stay tuned for the adventures I will be taking in figuring out how to pose, doing make up, and trying to figure my way into this occupation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment