when life meets reality...


mysterious encounters r déjà vu r serendipity moments r mistakes r opportunities r

to forgive and forget r awkward silences r laughter r joyful tears r love r hopeful comings

** “Story #'s” **

posts that focus on the major movements of my life. They are the stories that make up the journey: When life meets reality.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Confuzzled

I am completely and utterly bewildered by how Jerry Uelsmann, 1) has the patience for what he does and 2) how he actually does it. His work is not only breathtaking, but also challenges the mind. I understand the basic concepts about what goes on in the dark room and the tedious process involved with it, but to be able to match the pictures up the way you want, with the sizes and angles, then being able to combine the pictures where some parts are completely cropped out (like a tree) or molding two separate concepts found on different negatives together, and finally processing it so that the exposure is correct and not overlapping them too much so that parts of the papers are over exposed.....how does he do it?!? I'm at a loss.

For those who are curious, this excerpt from PDN Legends Online   explains the procedure that is taken in the dark room:

Jerry Uelsmann:
Process and Perception


For me the darkroom functions as a visual research laboratory. Usually I run through 50 sheets of paper during a during a darkroom day. I always hope that at the end of the day, I will have produced one or two images that I care about. I make a small edition of each of these, usually six prints. Over the years I have discovered that approximately 10 percent of my finished images survive. This means that out of a year's work, during which I produce approximately 150 images, about 15 of them have a lasting value for me.

In my darkroom I have eight enlargers. Rarely do I use that many, but it is helpful to have more than one enlarger to execute multiple printing techniques. The images featured in this section are shown with their component parts. Printing these images required the use of several enlargers, one negative in each enlarger. Sometimes I block immediately below the enlarger lens to keep part of the paper white so that it can receive a second or third image. Other times I mask with black paper at the easel on the base of the enlarger; this works when you have a hard-edged area to transfer from one part of the image into another part. I print on the paper in one enlarger, then move it to a second enlarger for the second part of an image, and if necessary to a third or fourth; finally, I process the print normally.

In some instances I photograph objects and figures on a plain white background or a light table; this makes it easier for me to print those elements into light areas on the print. I use easels that are very stable and on occasion I tape them to the baseboard of the enlarger, once I have the proper alignment. I do lots of testing, for correct exposure and for correct blending of the separate elements, before I attempt to make a finished print.


le sigh...if you have any suggestions or some insight on what goes on, please comment or contact me.

When I figure it out and have amazing pictures, I will scan then and post them...let's see how long this will take. But until then, look out for more updates on my life!

Mucho <3

No comments:

Post a Comment